5/18/2005

Welcome and Thank You.

There has been an unprecedented level of activity on this page this week. For those of you that are new, welcome! I thought now would be a good time to revisit my "mission statement" for this page. I started this "blawg" on July 1, 2004.

Here's what I initially set out to do:
I plan to include more than case law summaries and analysis. Law and lawsuits don't exist in a bubble. There are political and economic forces at work that shape them. To the extent I believe there is a causal nexus, those things will be covered as well. This will include at a minimum, tracking and discussions of pending bills in the legislature (and, sometimes, in Congress), and discussions of economic indicators that are relevant.

I am going to do my best to give objective, neutral commentary on these issues. This means I won't be championing issues on the side of the plaintiff's bar or the industry side. * * *

This is also not a blawg of record. Not every issue will be documented, largely because they are already so well documented.
I think I have mostly lived up to that over the last 11 months. I'd like to add some new parameters. I have not covered "traditional labor" issues, because I think those are well documented elsewhere. I had planned to cover the NHL lockout more closely than I have because it has some interesting dimensions (first and foremost, the union has a lot of wealthy members) and interesting implications. I haven't found much to add to the narrative there, though.

My niche has become the evolution and development of the labor laws of the state of California, and I hope to continue to follow that path.

Any input is appreciated and welcome!